Mental health skills can be strengthened
Mental health skills include for example emotional and awareness skills, life skills, as well as interpersonal and problem solving skills
It is beneficial and rewarding to develop mental health skills. Our website provides information and exercises for this as well as survival stories.
Protective factors for mental health
Many external and internal factors protect mental health. It is important for all of us to develop these.
Internal protective factors
- Social support, friends
- Good physical health and heredity
- Positive early relationships
- Sufficient self-esteem
- Feeling of being accepted
- Problem solving ability
- Ability to deal with conflict
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to form and maintain relationships
- Possibility for self-fulfilment
External protective factors
- Possibility for education
- Job or another source of income
- Support from the work community and manager
- Feeling of being heard and ability to influence
- Safe living environment
- Public support system that is close by and easily accessible
Mental health can be improved
Every day we make numerous decisions regarding our physical and mental health. Mental wellbeing is built on variety of skills, some of which may be stronger than others.
Support with mental health difficulties
Mental health difficulties are common and something which everyone experiences at some point in life. If you are concerned about the mental health of a friend or family member, it is best you bring it up with them directly. When our owh resources run out, it is important to have the courage to seek help.